Ha scritto molto sui cambiamenti climatici, tanto che nel 2010 il Boston Globe lo ha definito "probabilmente l'ambientalista più influente della nazione" . Nel 2009 ha contribuito a fondare l'organizzazione mondiale per il clima 350.org.
- Laudato si
"Bill McKibben, a co-founder of the global climate movement 350.org, said Francis “is not just a moral arbiter. He's also a canny observer of world politics.” With the encyclical, “he's demonstrating that the time has come for the world to act. There's enough consensus — or there will be once he's done — for the world's leaders to finally, really, get to work.”"
- Power to the People; Why the rise of green energy makes utility companies nervous. June 29, 2015 The New Yorker
- ^ David, Michael, and Caroline. "Bill McKibben Archiviato il 10 settembre 2012 in Internet Archive.". Library.thinkquest.org. Retrieved 2013-07-12
- ^ Shivani, Anis (2010-05-30). "Facing cold, hard truths about global warming". Boston.com. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- ^ (EN) Board of Directors 350.org
- ^ Religious climate activists energized by pope's environment encyclical;Progressive interfaith groups excited by highly anticipated Vatican letter June 17, 2015 Al Jazeera America